The Ice Vision system utilizes vision recognition to automatically measure ice profiles directly on overhead transmission lines. The system is very useful for assessment and prioritization of ice mitigation resources. Quick remediation saves on wear and tear of equipment under icing conditions. Manitoba Hydro is currently implementing Ice Vision systems. The system was developed in collaboration with the University of Manitoba Virtual Reality Laboratory.
- Accurate measurement of ice profiles directly on live conductors, automatically and autonomously
- Collection of weather data including: temperature, wind, humidity, precipitation, pressure
- Alarms via email or SMS text messaging
- Real time ice picture
- Wireless communication for remote access, control and configuration of settings
- Graphing and trending of historical data